These brownie cupcakes are actually healthier than most other baked sweets. It fits perfectly into a whole food plant-based lifestyle. The cocoa adds a big punch of flavonoids, which have an incredible amount of health benefits such as lowering inflammation and blood pressure and improved cholesterol levels. That said I don't want you to eat brownies all day, but as a treat here and there why not. :)
This recipe was part of my Live Stream on Facebook: Cooking with Chef Frank
Chocolate Pecan Brownie Cupcakes
½ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tbsp dark rum or chocolate liquor (optional)
1 tbsp orange peel, finely grated
3 teaspoons ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup spelt flour
¼ cup pecans, finely chopped
5 tbsp & 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon of sea salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin baking pan with paper tulips, otherwise a silicon muffing matt works great too.
2. In a bowl combine all wet ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl add all dry ingredients.
4. Now add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine. Stir just until all ingredients are incorporated.
5. With a large ice-cream scooper fill one scoop of the brownie mixture in each paper tulip.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.